Saturday, November 24, 2007

Remember when ...?


This picture reminded me of the days when I lived in the mountains, worked in a restaurant, and skied the rest of the time. There were a group of us that use to hang out and ski together. We had great fun. Those were the days when all you had to worry about was paying the rent and skiing. We seemed to be so carefree. Back then, I owned a 1966 VW (BUG) in mint condition. I just graduated from college and had no debts. By the time I retire at the end of 2008, I plan to be debt free again.

Seven years ago I sold everything, took a leave from work and moved to Texas. My plan was to find a retirement place where I could retire comfortably. Comfort to me means not having to shovel snow during the winter months and Texas seemed to fit the bill. All I owned was my truck and a couple of years later Teddy joined me. I felt much better not having anything to tie me down. This is why RVing appealed to me.

When it comes right down to it, we really do not need a lot of "things" to make us happy. I believe that happiness is a state of being ... it comes from within, and not from without. I am not against having things, not at all, but when it comes right down to it, how much do we really need to be happy?

When I look around my house I think to myself if I had something smaller it wouldn’t take long to clean and would afford me more time to reflect on life and spend with my dogs. In fact right now, I am supposed to be cleaning out my bird cages, a weekly ritual, but I decided to come into my nicely cleaned out home office and reflect.

Well that's enough reflecting for now, got to run and tend to my responsibilities for yet another week.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment